Helping the military move
Atlas military movers serve the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
Each year, Atlas helps more than 9,000 military families across the U.S. and overseas with their military moves.
THE RIGHT PEOPLE AND THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT
As the country’s second‐largest mover, Atlas brings approximately 2,900 professional van operators and 4,300 trucks to serve U.S. military installations. Our military moving company is dedicated to ensuring your domestic move is seamless, whether it’s a local relocation with your family or a solo move across the country. We also provide door‐to‐door service around the globe with Atlas International. Want to learn more about the military move process? Browse our top tips for military personnel as you consider your PPM options.
What is a PPM? Typically, Armed Forces members move their own household items in a personal or rented vehicle; this is called a Personally Procured Move (PPM), formerly known as a Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move. The Armed Forces provides an incentive payment equal to 95% of the estimated cost to the government for PPM. When the move is completed, the Armed Forces member provides receipts and paperwork to substantiate authorized expenses. The net financial profit is taxable and is reported on a separate W-2 Form.
FOR YOUR PERSONALLY PROCURED MOVE
If you choose the DITY move commonly known as a PPM, the government will not pack/move your goods or arrange your moving expenses. Through its PPM policy, the U.S. Military reimburses personnel who arrange their own moves. Many military personnel find that a PPM offers more control over the packing and transport processes. Our Atlas military movers are well versed in DITY/PPM guidelines. We can explain what is required for:
- Protection. We’ll advise you of the valuation choices for coverage against loss or damage.
- Storage. Atlas offers flexible options for secure storage as long as you may need it.
- Reimbursement. We can assist with completing and filing the forms for reimbursement.
MOVING SAFETY AND SECURITY ARE TOP PRIORITIES
Satellite Tracking. Secure online access to shipment location 24/7.
Labor Certification. Background checks verify the quality of Atlas service personnel.
Proactive Safety. “Zero tolerance” for substance abuse, enforced with random drug and alcohol screenings.
What is the weight limit?
- Atlas offers a variety of programs to fit your budgeting and weight needs when moving. Under PPM policies, military members moving with PPM will receive a payment of 95% of what it would cost the government to arrange the move. This moving allowance, or entitlement, is based on rank, number of dependents, and other factors. We are ready to help you meet your needs based on your entitlements.
What items cannot be packed? Are firearms allowed?
- You must notify Atlas before your move if your shipment contains firearms. All firearms must be unloaded, have legible serial numbers, and be packed in the presence of the Atlas Van Operator. We recommend you consult this guide as you begin packing for your move with Atlas.
When will Atlas provide an estimated delivery date?
- As a customer of Atlas, you have access to Atlas® Customer Portal, a free online application that allows you to track your order and moving date, build your customer profile, make a credit card payment, or access moving documents–all in one place.
Where do I file a claim for damages? How long do I have to file a claim?
- You can access claim forms for U.S. and international moves here, where you can fill out a form online or via PDF. Claim forms for damages, losses, or delays in service must be received by Atlas within nine months from the day of delivery of the shipment, except:
- for shipments moving under a Government Bill of Lading;
- for shipments moving solely within the state of Texas, in which case the claim form must be received within 90 days of delivery; and
- When a contract between Atlas and the party paying for the transportation specifies a different time.
- For any remaining questions about these exceptions or about your claim, contact Atlas Customer Service or call 1-800-638-9797 with extensions 2846 or 2850.
How long will this move take?
- The time it takes to move depends on several factors, such as the size of your move, where you are moving to, and time of year. Talk to your Atlas Agent about your timing requirements.
It's Easy To Begin
Get an Instant Online Estimate for PPM Moves, or Contact Your Agent
Click for an instant online moving estimate or click to contact your local Atlas Agent. In either case, advise the Agent that you are in the military and seeking information regarding a PPM move–your Agent can answer your questions.