APARTMENT MOVE-IN CHECKLIST
What do I need to do before moving into an apartment?
Follow this move-in checklist for a smooth apartment move.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Apartments are limited on space. Decide which items you will discard or give away. If you wish to turn unwanted items into cash, follow the tips here: How to Hold a Moving Sale.
- Ask your physician and dentist to recommend a colleague near your new apartment. Get copies of refillable prescriptions.
- If you have school-aged children living with you, arrange a transfer of school records.
- Transfer personal insurance records.
- Check your renter's insurance policy to see if moving is covered. Make sure you have the coverage you need in your new apartment.
- If you plan to move house plants, read How To Move Your Plants and start preparing them.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Plan to use up perishable food items before your move.
- Movers can't take aerosols, flammables, corrosives, ammunition, or propane tanks (see Moving Non-allowables). Plan to use them up or give them away.
- Drain fuel tanks on gas-powered equipment such as lawn mowers, leaf blowers, and chainsaws.
- Complete a change-of-address form for each person in the household who will receive mail at your new apartment. You can get the forms at the post office or use the U.S. Postal Service's online form.
- If you have pets, read How To Move Your Pets.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE
- Make confirmed travel reservations.
- Decide which items you'll pack, and which you'd like Atlas to pack.
- Close or transfer charge accounts.
- Return library books and other things you've borrowed.
- Collect things you've lent to others, and any items in lay-away or cold storage. Pick up the dry cleaning.
- Dispose of cleaning fluids, acids, caustic drain cleaners, and other non-allowable items.
- Draw up a floor plan of your new apartment for placement of furnishings.
- Arrange to have your TV and utilities disconnected. Movers are not permitted to take down TV antennas, but your Atlas mover can arrange for a third-party to perform the service.
Your local Atlas mover provides professional-grade, do-it-yourself packing materials at reasonable prices.