How To Advertise Your Moving Sale
Writing and placing the moving sale ad.
Include these details in your garage sale or moving sale ad:
- The date and time.
- Your street address.
- An optional second date if rain is in the forecast.
- Descriptions of popular items such as furniture, appliances, tools, and electronics.
- Your phone number so people can call for more information or get directions.
Where you should advertise your moving sale:
- Local newspaper. Generally, the more words in an ad, the more it costs to run.
- Ask about the cost to run Friday and Saturday vs Saturday only.
- Be aware of submission deadlines, which can be several days in advance of publication.
- Online classifieds. You might take advantage of free online classifieds such as yardsales.net, yardsalesearch.com, and garagesalefinder.com.
- They are all free to advertise and will generate a map for buyers to find you easily.
- You can still use Craigslist, but it's very hard to get noticed with the volume of listings they receive every minute.
- Flyers. Put flyers around the neighborhood.
- Print Moving Sale in large letters with the date, time, and address.
- Check with the local Chamber of Commerce about requirements for signs and posters. If allowed, place them in high-traffic areas with arrows and directions on sale day.
- Social Media. Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest are great place to advertise your moving sale.
- They’re really useful during your event. When Tweeting, use your city name as a hash tag, for example: #MovingSale going on in #Charlotte today! Message me for details.
- Tweet about a big item that just sold, those frosty drinks in the cooler, or the beautiful weather.