International Moving Guide
When choosing Atlas for your international move, you’re choosing a worldwide leader who has helped individuals and families move internationally for more than 50 years.
From U.S. or international origin
Whether your move is from the U.S. to an international location, or from one international location to another, Atlas has a proven network of global agents ready to serve you.
Finding the knowledge and the connections you need to make a proper international move begins with contacting Atlas International.
We make your first step easy, contact us now:
- By Clicking here to begin an estimate.
- By PHONE at 888.669.6031 (US only) or 206.526.1137
We learn about you and supply an estimate and create a move plan designed for your unique move. We supply important information and the steps necessary to ease the task of moving into a new home or new property abroad.
- What you need before your move abroad
- How does an international move work
- What our role is compared to your role
We have worldwide experience for your worldwide move. See The Process.
Your international moving team will ensure that your experience is the best for your particular move.
Move Planning Agenda
Two to Three Months Before Move
- Pick the belongings that you want to take and leave behind
- Consider a small airfreight shipment of essential items that you would need quickly upon arrival
- Gather information on the new country of residence by visiting government websites and on-line expatriate forums
- Consider a visit prior to the move to find housing and schools
- If traveling with pets, make sure to check with the consulate or embassy of the host country to determine pet entry allowances and requirements.
- Review any items that may be regulated by customs in your destination, note restrictions and prepare accordingly.
- Contact your Atlas International Relocation Specialist for pre move planning, pricing and book your shipment.
One Month Before
- Change of address with post office
- Stop/transfer subscriptions
- Cancel/change insurance policies
- Purchase plug adapters and converters for electronic items
- If shipping large appliances, have them examined and include all manuals
- Obtain all medical records and necessary vaccinations
- Find out if your current bank has an overseas branch
Two Weeks Before Move
- Send out notifications of change of address
- Arrange bank account transfers, travelers checks, and foreign currency to have on hand
- Take pets immunizations and obtain travel documents for from vet
- Take care of final bills, investments and insurance
One Week Before
- Finish separating items
- Complete valued inventory and send to your Atlas International Relocation Coordinator (IRC)
- Arrange for a babysitter for young children while packing is scheduled
- Return any borrowed items, pick up any loaned out items
Two Days Before
- Last minute laundry, cleaning and organizing
- If packing any personal items yourself, leave cartons open for inspection and notation on origin inventories
- Pick up dry cleaning