Before I move, what needs to happen, and when?
Follow these proven tips for a smooth move.
Four weeks before you move...
- Decide which items you will discard or give away. If you wish to turn unwanted items into cash, follow the tips here: How to Hold a Moving Sale.
- Ask your physician and dentist to recommend a colleague near your new home. Get copies of refillable prescriptions.
- Arrange transfer of school records.
- Transfer personal insurance records.
- Check your renter's policy to see that moving is covered. Make sure you have the coverage you need in your new apartment.
- If you plan to move house plants, read How To Move Your House Plants and start preparing them.
Three weeks before your move...
- Plan to use up perishable food items before you move.
- Movers can't take aerosols, flammables, corrosives, ammunition, or propane tanks (see Moving Non-allowables). Plan to use them up or give them away.
- Drain fuel tanks on gas-powered equipment such as lawn mowers, leaf blowers, and chainsaws.
- Complete a change-of-address form for each person who will receive mail at your new address. You can get the forms at the post office or use the U.S. Postal Service's online form.
- If you have pets, read "How To Move Your Pets."
Two weeks before your move...
- Make confirmed travel reservations.
- Decide which items you'll pack, and which you'd like Atlas to pack. Your Atlas agent provides professional-grade, do-it-yourself packing materials at reasonable prices.
- Close or transfer charge accounts.
- Return library books and other things you've borrowed.
- Collect things you've lent to others, and any items in lay-away or cold storage. Pick up the dry cleaning.
- Dispose of cleaning fluids, acids, caustic drain cleaners, and other non-allowable items.
- Draw up a floor plan of your new apartment for placement of furnishings.
- Arrange to have your TV and utilities disconnected. Movers are not permitted to take down TV antennas. If you wish, your Atlas agent can arrange for a third party to perform the service.
One week before your move...
- Transfer bank accounts, and ask your local credit bureau to transfer your records to your new city.
- Reconfirm travel reservations.
- Your van operator will need payment before unloading your goods. If you are paying for your own move, arrange to have cash, certified check, or money order on hand. If you wish to pay by personal check or credit card, check with your mover first.
- Set aside items to take in your car: medicines and important papers, maps, games, snacks, flashlight.
- Drain water from garden hoses.
- Start packing suitcases.
- Get the name, address and phone number of the Atlas agent in your new community.
- Call the business office of your local phone provider to let them know when they may disconnect your service. They may also help you with phone service at your new apartment.
- Leave anything Atlas will pack in place. It's easier and safer, for example, to pack glassware right from the cabinet.
The day before you move...
- Pack items you may need right away in a special box. Atlas will load it last and unload it first. You may want to include:
- cleaning supplies
- coffee pot
- paper and pen
- medical supplies (aspirin, bandages, etc.)
- kitchen utensils and paper plates
- Finish packing suitcases.
- Defrost, clean and dry the refrigerator.
- Plan to be on hand all day. You will need to accompany the van operator during inventory, sign the bill of lading, and confirm your new address and delivery date. Let the van operator know where you will be staying and the best way to reach you during transit.
- Make a final check of every room and storage area. Make sure windows and doors are locked, keys are transferred, and lights are out.
At your new home...
All your planning and preparation have paid off. You're already starting to feel at home. You have some settling in to do, but it will be easy. You trusted Atlas to help you go new places, and you made a smooth move.